Wine by Range Select Vineyards Wines

'Big & Buttery' SV Gisborne Chardonnay 2019

NZ $23.75 incl GST

A blast from the past?

Sorry, all gone Sorry, there are only 249 of this item currently in stock. the selected product is not available.


Select Vineyards Wines, Gisborne, Chardonnay and Blends


Winemakers Notes

In 2019 we again used Doug Bell’s Clone 548 Chardonnay to craft the Big and Buttery. This is a dry-grown block in their certified organic vineyard on Back Ormond Road, just out of the city of Gisborne. The wine was fermented in 20% new American oak barrels, the other 80% a mix of seasoned American and French oak. Once the primary fermentation was finished, all of the barrels then went through a secondary malolactic fermentation. This imbues the wine with buttery notes. The wine went into barrel on 20th March 2019 and came out of barrel on 15th March 2020 – so 12 months in oak. It was bottled 30th June and 1st July.

Alc 13%
Acid 7.4g/L
Res sugar <1g/L
pH 3.37

Tasting Notes
Colour: Pale gold in the glass at bottling, but will slowly deepen with time.
Bouquet: Stonefruit and melon backed by vanillary oak and a buttered pop-corn character from the MLF.
Palate: Big, rich and weighty, yet with elegance and finesse.

Already approachable, but will cellar happily into the medium term in a cool environment.
Food Matches
The oak ageing makes this wine an excellent match with full flavoured rich dishes, in particular poultry, pork, salmon and crayfish.
Suggested Wine List Description

Independent Reviewer's Comments
“Enticing aromas of grilled peach, mango, cedar and brioche lead to a gorgeously flavoursome palate that’s filled with succulent fruit flavours and creamy texture. Generous and expansive with layers of attractive fruit flavours enhanced by seductive oak nuances. At its best: now to 2024.” Sam Kim, 2021

5 Stars/93 Points Wine Orbit, Jan 2021

Previous Vintage Tasting Notes - Download PDFs

2018 pdficon_small.gif  2017 pdficon_small.gif  2016 pdficon_small.gif 


In order to assist us in reducing spam, please type the characters you see:

You may also like