For the second year in a row Coopers Creek has been awarded the Trophy for Champion Other Whites at the 2013 Air New Zealand Wine Awards. Both times the trophy wine has been the Select Vineyards Gisborne Albariño nick-named “Bell-Ringer” in honour of Doug and Delwyn Bell the talented Gisborne based growers.
Albariño’s a grape that originated in Northern Spain, and now it’s showing impressive form in its adopted home of Aotearoa.
The trophy winning 2013 vintage had already scooped a Trophy and Gold medal at the Bragato Awards, then a prestigious Double Gold at the Australian-based Six Nations Wine Challenge, before being awarded a Blue Gold Medal and Top 100 ranking at the Sydney International Wine Show.
Last year the 2012 vintage amassed four Trophies and five Gold Medals; a stunning performance for a rookie wine style! With strong demand in New Zealand and huge interest from top London restaurants this year, the Spanish immigrant Albariño looks set for a very good future, grown and made here in Godzone!
The SV Albariño wasn’t the only star for Coopers Creek this year; the winery has had another award-laden run in 2013, including:
- Pure Elite Gold Air New Zealand Wine Awards – SV Hawkes Bay “Limeworks” Chardonnay 2012
- Gold Medal Bragato Wine Awards – SV Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc “Dillons Pt” 2013
- Gold Medal Bragato Wine Awards - Hawkes Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Gravels and Metals" 2011
- Gold Medal NZ International Wine Show – Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Gold Medal Spiegelau International Wine Competition - Hawkes Bay Syrah 2012
- Cuisine Magazine
- Top Syrah 2013 – Reserve Hawkes Bay Syrah 2010
- Top Viognier 2013 – SV Hawkes Bay Viognier “Chalk Ridge” 2011
- Top Specialty Red 2013 – SV Hawkes Bay Malbec “St John” 2011
With Christmas looming, Coopers Creek has plenty to celebrate this festive season!